Monday, August 22, 2011

What Are You Afraid Of?


Melissa @ A Gracious Calm was gracious enough to do not just one, but TWO, guests posts for me!  If you haven't visited here before, click on the link and check her out.  Her blog is one of my faves.
Hey guys – sprinkles is heading back to school and will be quite busy with her course load, plus her part-time job so I offered to do a guest post.  And because I’m so awesome I offered to do two!  This is my first one.

So I wasn’t really sure what to do for a topic, it’s hard to pick one, especially when it’s for people who aren’t your normal readers.

I thought I’d tell you about one of my biggest, yet irrational, fears and see if maybe I’m not as crazy as I think.

I’m a member of the local YMCA and they have a steam room.

I sometimes like to go take a steam and just rest.  You're not supposed to stay in the steam room for more than 10 minutes, but it's so hot in there, that it's not a problem.  The door to the room has no lock or latch, so when it closes, there's no way you could get stuck in there. 

But here's the thing.  I'm a bit claustrophobic, and their steam room is not big.  It would hold maybe four people.  So when I'm in there, I'm a bit nervous about getting stuck in there.  Even though there's really no way for that to happen. 

Sometimes when I'm in the room by myself, I'll wedge my towel between the door and the door jam, so that I feel better about being in there, but even then, I can't stay the whole 10 minutes, I usually make it to the 6 or 7 minute mark before I have to leave.  My heart races, my mind wanders, thinking about what will happen to my body if it gets stuck in a room with a temperature of 120 F and well, I kind of freak out a little.

So that's it.  I'm afraid of being locked in a room whose door has no lock and no latch.

Pretty silly, right?

What are you afraid of? 

14 showed me some love:

booahboo said...

That's very sweet of you to help Sprinkes with a post.. or two Melissa :)

I do have the same phobia as you. I am usually paranoid in steam rooms.. i keep looking at the door. Even though the door cannot be locked... i am afraid that someone will just lock it somehow.. *LOL*

Finn said...

With Freddy Kruger in the back of my mind, I would be afraid of steaming too! I remember after I saw the movie The Lost Boys, I couldn't eat white rice for years because of the maggot scene in it!

Good luck to sprinkles this week!

Smoochiefrog said...

Heights. Totally, completely afraid of heights. It's so bad, a small 3 rung step ladder is too high for me. I can't look down from the second story of my house without my heart starting to beat faster. Oddly enough I can look out straight to the horizon, but not down. Go figure.

I'm also majorly afraid of stopping on bridges while driving. It totally freaks me out, especially after reading about bridges collapsing while traffic sits on them. I tend to hold my breath while crossing them. That is nearly impossible to do over the Lake Pontchatrain and Bay Bridges in LA and MD respectively. Then I just breathe deeply and drive as fast as I can to get off as soon as possible.

jen said...

I can totally see being scared of that!
I am terrified of getting stuck in an elevator!

Melissa said...

Yay! Thanks for letting me guest post. :)

I think I'm perfectly normal. :)

Jen said...

OMG, I too am sooo claustrophobic! That and that I have a fear of drowning. Don't get me wrong, I am a really good swimmer but I just can't imagine dying that way! Ok, ok, let's talk about something sweet now ;-)

Happy Monday to both of you!

Jenny Woolf said...

I guess you find it difficult being in trains etc? I also suffer somewhat from claustrophobia, and it's not rational at all. I can understand your feeling about this room.

George The Lad said...

Oh I don't think so, I'm locked in the kitchen when mom and dad are out and can't get to the door handle, but at least I can feed myself lol !!! Don't worry I am a dog thats talking here lol ;)
Have a good week
See Yea George xxx

Meg said...

Haha, that is too funny.

I'm scared of the unknown--not in a philosophical way, but in a who is going to sneak up on me around the bend.

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

ImPAWtant Message fur CHICO and SHIVER..

I have you both Registered fur my class... and I am workin on your very much HARD.. butt VERY good question. WHEW... workin' up a PANT here.

The Daily Pip said...

I have the exact same fear! I am also afraid of choking and have a really hard time taking pills! It's super silly, I know!

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Great to help out Sprinkles! Yep I would melt at 120 degrees:)

Jen said...

Oh, and I hope school is going well for you! Please, keep us posted... what classes are you taking? Are you having fun? Meeting any new people? Any good parties? Oh how I miss my college days!! ;-)

Happy Tuesday Dear Sprinkles!!

Zuzana said...

What a nice guest post and a topic we can all relate to.;)
I am claustrophobic too, so any closed spaces scare me. My biggest fear is the fear of flying, as it combines being locked in a closed space and having no control. Although I am slowly getting less afraid with age - once I did not fly at all, now I take short trips here and there.;)
Nice to meet you.;))
xoxo

Post a Comment

 

(c) Copyright 2010 Zany Dezines. Premade Layout from Zany Dezines.