Monday, October 20, 2014

What I've Learned This Semester

I make a point every semester to share my wealth of knowledge with you, my lovely readers!  I'm saving you a BUNDLE in college tuition by doing so, so you should be thanking me! 

POLS 200 - Introduction to Politics

This is just an elective.  It's an OK class --  kinda boring, with lots and lots of homework.  I've actually learned this fact before, but had forgotten it. 

Aristotle was a student of Plato, Plato was a student of Socrates.

POLS 398 - Advanced Political Science Methods

This is an advanced stats class, and I *HATE* it with every fiber of my being!  I don't feel like I've learned a damn thing from this class, it's so far over my head!  Luckily I have a friend taking it with me, and he's been extremely generous in helping.  Otherwise there is no way I could possibly pass that class.
This is a multiple regression equation that we used recently. 

POLS 407 - American Policy Process

This has been one of my favorite classes in my entire college career.  It's a fun class, and I think it'll be valuable for the career that I hope to get into. 

Policy Design Tools
Authority tools
Govts use their authority to urge or require people to behave in a certain way.  The use of such tools, not always effective or democratic, depends on the perceived legitimacy of govt.  These tools may be particularly effective during times of crisis, when favorable responses by the govt are more likely.
Inducements and sanctions
Govts provide incentives or penalties to appeal to individuals’ rational pursuit of their self-interest.  Inducements encourage people to act in a certain way because they will gain from doing so.  Sanctions are negative incentives or penalties that are thought to discourage behavior that is inconsistent with policy goals.
Capacity-building tools
Govts make available training, education, information, and technical assistance, and they can aim to inform or enlighten and thus empower people, either those in the target population or policy agents.
Hortatory tools
Govts invoke images and values through speeches, proclamations, and other communication to exhort people to behave a certain way.
Learning tools
Govts can encourage policy agents and target populations to participate and learn, for example, through citizen advisory panels and collaborative processes.

6 showed me some love:

Two French Bulldogs said...

Boring!
Lily & Edward

Unknown said...

Glad you enjoy the last one so much. Have a marvellous Monday.
Best wishes Molly

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

I also HATED Stats class.... mine was Grad. Level and it was MAJORLY Difficult.

Sketching with Dogs said...

Wow, that looks extremely difficult, kudos to you!
Lynne x

The Daily Pip said...

Sounds like you have learned a lot. I certainly don't blame you for hating stats. UGH!

SWMNBN said...

I am a weirdo and loved all of my poly sci classes in undergrad... it was actually my major!!!! If I could back to school forever I would. I love learning. :)

Post a Comment

 

(c) Copyright 2010 Zany Dezines. Premade Layout from Zany Dezines.