Monday, December 14, 2015

Snow Flurry Fury

Baby, it's CCCOOOLLLDDD outside!!!  The snow was coming down heavily last night as I drove to my mom's house for dinner and didn't let up much at all by the time I went home three hours later.  It didn't stick, but it made it difficult to see and the roads were slick.  Fortunately I live fairly close to mom and made it there and back safely.  Today it's super windy.  I'm just very grateful I don't have to leave the house today!

I got a new laptop last Friday!  I love it, but can't believe how different it is from my old one.  It's taken some getting used to.  It took forever and two long phone calls to get the internet set up on it, but we got it figured out.  I spent the weekend playing around with it a little more to feel more comfortable with it.  I also finally got a cell phone.  When I went to get it, there was a guy who kept asking what happened to my old phone and didn't seem to grasp that I didn't have one.  I really could not afford the laptop or the cell phone but I think I may have a new job soon and I'll need both if I do get it.

A very cool thing happened when I was at the store.  As I walked towards the computers I saw a large group going from one laptop to another as a store associate went through all the differences between them.  I didn't pay much attention to them as I walked around them to get to the area I wanted to look at.  After I had chosen my computer, I turned around and saw the large group again. and that's when I realized what was going on.  There was a young girl there getting a laptop from the Make-A-Wish Foundation!  I stood there for a second or two watching them, but didn't want to seem like I was staring so I left and walked towards the registers to pay for my stuff.  I'm glad I got to see that though.

I finally got to talk to the oncologist last week.  Surprisingly, he said that Chico's chemo would last the rest of his life!  I thought it would only be like 6-8 months or something, but no...  When I asked how long it would extend Chico's life, he didn't really have an answer but he did say that it tends to work better when animals have lower white blood cell counts.  Chico's are off the charts, so I asked if I should consider not doing it then.  He said it wasn't unreasonable to want to try it.  My next question was how long Chico would have if I decided not to do anything at all.  He replied that all dogs are different so he really couldn't say.  Chico could be fine for a few more weeks, a few more months, or even a year before showing any other symptoms of the cancer.  The chemo and blood work would probably be about $200 a month.

I've thought about it a lot and I think I'm not going to do the chemo.  As much as I want to, I don't know that I can afford $200 a month for the rest of his life.  It wouldn't be fair to start him on it and have to stop it because I can't afford it.  I felt awful having to open a GoFundMe account and felt like I was begging for money.  Plus he's so little and I worry that the chemo would be too difficult on him.  I want his life to be filled with love and happiness for whatever time he has left.  Thank you to everyone who contributed to his fund, it was a huge help and I will never forget your kindness.

The cell phone came with an awesome camera, 1000x better than the one on my iPod!  Shiver thinks that I've been talking about Chico a little too much lately and that it's his time on the blog now.  So here you go, a picture of the handsome Mr. Shiver!

10 showed me some love:

Two French Bulldogs said...

Great news about your new computer, Yippy! As you may know, I spent a ton of green papers on my Benny's chemo treatments. It did prolong his life an extra 3 months. He didn't suffer, but it's the quality of life not the quantity as everyone was telling us. Hugs Chico
Snorts,
Lily & Edward

The Daily Pip said...

You know Chico better than anyone and know what's best for him. Trust your instincts. I think the idea of making his life amazing in the days he has left is wonderful and a true gift. I hope you have many, many, many great days left together!

I love Make A Wish Foundation and that's pretty amazing that you were able to witness their work first hand.

Kathy G said...

Whoo Hoo to new computers and cell phones!

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

We understand your decision... it was made with LOVE in your heart..
The chemo would make him Sick... and there are no guarantees that it would Lengthen his life... just that it would for SURE make him feel SICK. We Truly understand.
Paws crossed for the JOB.

Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady said...

As pet owners we are often put in terrible positions. I am sure you will make the one that is right for all of you.

Sketching with Dogs said...

Hope the real piling up kind of snow stays away and it keeps melting.
LOL, you've finally cracked and got a mobile phone :) Well it definitely takes good pictures, it's amazing how good phone cameras are these days.
I think you have made the right decision with Chico's chemo, the rest of your life is a long time to be on a drug as strong as that. It will be nice to have the GoFundMe funds for his steroids and ginseng and anything else he needs.
Shiver, you are a very handsome boy!
Lynne x

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

As others have said, it is a decision that all pet owners will have to make eventually and it always hurts. Chico should not suffer and chemo which will not really extend or give quality to his life, might not be the best decision. It is very, very hard to lose a beloved pet, and my heart goes out to you.

Jenny Woolf said...

I think it is best not to put poor Chico through the chemo, too. Animals can't understand that it is meant to improve their health.

Nadine, Chewy and Lilibell said...

You are his mother, and the decision you made was one you felt best for him. Do some research, I bet there's lots of homeopathic things out there you could use to help him out!

The Rantings of a Drama Queen's Mum said...

I hate driving in the snow. We haven't had any snow yet, but I know it's coming. I'm sorry about Chico. It's a hard thing. I hope he makes it as long as he can. A year or 2.
http://therantingsofadramaqueensmum.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

 

(c) Copyright 2010 Zany Dezines. Premade Layout from Zany Dezines.