Monday, February 2, 2015

Lung Leavin' Day

 
Have ya heard of Lung Leavin' Day before?  No?  I hadn't either until just recently. 

I received an email about this a couple of weeks ago and wanted to help promote it because of my father.  Anyone who has followed my blog for any length of time knows that he died about three and a half years ago.  We know he had at least two kinds of cancer and suspect a third, although we aren't 100% certain of what kind he had when he passed away.  No biopsy was able to be performed when he was alive as he couldn't tolerate the procedure, and my mom chose not to have an autopsy after he passed away. 

To paraphrase from the email that Cameron sent me:  His wife, Heather Von St. James, was diagnosed with mesothelioma nine years ago.  Mesothelioma is a rare cancer caused by asbestos.  Heather had just given birth to their daughter when she was diagnosed, and what should have been one of the most exciting times of their lives turned out to be anything but.  She was told she'd only have about 15 months live.  She had her lung removed, and fortunately Heather is still with us today! 

Heather was more afraid about the surgery than she had ever been about anything in her life.  Her sister named operation day Lung Leavin' Day as a way to help lighten the mood.  The name stuck, and they've been celebrating it ever since!  I encourage you to click on the links for Lung Leavin' Day to read more of Heather's amazing story.

Today is the 9th Annual Lung Leavin' Day.  What's it all about, I'm sure you're asking yourselves?  Lung Leavin' Day was started as way to encourage others to face their fears.  The family gathers around a fire in their backyard with friends and family, write their biggest fears on a plate, and smash them into the fire!  They use this time to celebrate those who are currently fighting cancer, for those who are no longer with us, and for those who are currently going through a tough time in their lives.  Most importantly though, they celebrate LIFE!

The event has grown bigger every year, and they also use it to fundraise for mesothelioma awareness.  They've raised over $7000 to date.      


I love this idea!  All of us have been touched by cancer in one way or another.  Even if you say you haven't been, you likely have been and may not even realize it.  And we all certainly have our fair share of fears, even if we don't want to admit to it.  While I don't have a fire pit in my backyard to join in, I'll figure out something special as a way to participate.  What will you do to celebrate?
*******
With the extenuating amount of homework last week, I wasn't able to blog hop.  My load is considerably lighter this week, so I'll be around for sure.  If I can get my iPod synched back up to my computer again, I'll post a Chewy.com review on Wednesday.  

7 showed me some love:

Unknown said...

That was an interesting story. We won't celebrate but we are thinking of our friend who is currently undergoing treatment. Have a marvellous Monday.
Best wishes Molly

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

WE remember about your father... can't believe it has been 3 1/2 years ago.

Sketching with Dogs said...

What a good way to remember the ones we lost. I lost my mum to breast cancer many years ago and my husband is suffering from cancer now. I don't think we can have a fire pit in the garden but we can talk together.
Lynne x

The Daily Pip said...

I love this concept, too. Thanks for sharing Lung Leavin Day with us.

Ruby said...

I've never heard of this befores ~ what a great concept! Congrats on them raising all that money! I wish we had a fire pit, butts I guess it doesn't have to be that does it? You can just symbolically do the same thingie. Thanks so much for the heads up!
Kisses,
Ruby ♥

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

I love the idea of burning your fears. At this point in my life, it would be quite a large bonfire.

Kathy G said...

What a great idea! I know a young lady (in her late 20s) who just celebrated the anniversary of her lung transplant.

Post a Comment

 

(c) Copyright 2010 Zany Dezines. Premade Layout from Zany Dezines.