Monday, November 15, 2010

School Daze

I woke up Thursday morning feeling awful.  I had a headache and diarrhea, was light headed and crampy and my hip was acting up.  As the day wore on, I just felt worse; my headache had turned into a migraine.  I told myself I'd feel better after a good night's sleep. 

Friday rolled around and I felt considerably better.  My hip was still sore but not like it had been and I was still very light headed but I overall, I felt human again.  So off I went to new student orientation.
Source:  weheartit
 
It's about a 45 minute drive to the campus and after parking, I walked into the Student Union Building.  Immediately upon entering, there was a gentleman who asked if I was there for orientation.  I told him yes and he instructed me on where I was supposed to go. 

It was held on the second floor in the Simplot Ballroom.  What nobody bothered to tell me is that there's more than one Simplot Ballroom!  I followed the noise, found the right one and felt an immediate mixture of overwhelm and intimidation.  There were lines everywhere and didn't seem to be any kind of structure to anything that I could tell.  Finally figured out where I was supposed to be and got my paperwork, went from there to having my picture taken for a student ID.  I kind of wanted to wander around a little bit more and find out what the other lines were for but I noticed the room we were supposed to be in for the orientation was filling up fast and I didn't want to be left standing.  Found a seat somewhere in the middle and listened to a short presentation basically thanking us for choosing their school and telling us what a wonderful 4 years we're going to have.

From there, we went to 2 different breakout sessions of our choice.  The first one was just around the corner from where I'd just been.  The next one seemed like a mile and a half away - seriously, we walked forever!!! - and was over in a jiffy.  It felt like I blinked and we were already moving on. 

Back into the original room we went.  They separated us by majors at that point and we went into another room in another direction another mile and a half away.  I didn't realize it but when you declare a major, they pretty much decide your first year of classes for you.  Everyone else already had a schedule.  I haven't declared mine officially but for the time being I'm leaning towards Business and Economics.  They gave a quick presentation where they discussed the various classes required for that particular major and some of the fields you can work in after graduation.  Well, because I didn't declare a major, I didn't have a schedule.  I had created my own and needed to have them approve it before registering for classes.  They did.

The campus is 113 acres long.  That might not seem very big but it's huge when you're walking, have a bad hip and don't feel well.  From there, I walked literally from one end of the campus to the other to register for classes.  My hip was already sore before I even started so I felt like I was never going to make it.  Plus I was still feeling really light headed.  Ugh!  But I made it and registered for class. Two of the classes were already filled up so I'm on a waiting list for those, the other two I received a confirmation for. 

Then it was back to the other end of campus to pick up my student ID.  You can't tell I'm wearing any makeup in the picture and I look tired.  My eyes are little slits.  I'm stuck with it for the next 6 years or I can pay $50.00 to replace it so I've decided it's not so bad...  If I don't look at it too closely.  The school was offering campus tours in another half hour which I would have loved to joined in on again but I just wasn't up for it.  Between my hip and feeling so light headed, I just wanted to go home and lie down for awhile. 

Later that evening, I went to a friend's house for beer, homemade pizza and a movie marathon.  All in all, not a bad day!  I'm just trying not to think about how much college is going to cost me or how I'm going to support myself for the next four years.
Source:  weheartit
Saturday I felt normal and caught up on everyone's blogs, Sunday I felt blah again.  Today I'm back to catching up on blogs after running a few errands.

15 showed me some love:

JP said...

Loved that pic from PostSecret too... LOVE PostSecret.

♥ Sallie said...

You are super smart. I know you will find a way to save money and make us all proud!

Hugs,

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

One day at a time, relax. It will all work out in the end. You should be very proud of yourself for what you are doing. We are.

Unknown said...

I hope you are feeling better! College is expensive but sometimes its the right choice :)

jen said...

Hope your are feeling better today.
If it means anything I think you are making the right choices for yourself-you are a smart one:)

The Daily Pip said...

Don't give up! just take things one day at a time!

Your pal, Pip

Zona said...

Things have a way of working out for the best! Just be sure to take care of yourself.. no more being sick!! I'm sending lots of Zona snuggles - they work to take the sickies away super fast!!

Wags,
Zona

PeeS: Can I come with you for homemade pizza next time??? YUM!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are doing a very good thing....even though college is hard and seems like it will last furever! I hope your Monday was better and you get to feeling all okie dokie soon!!!

MinnaK

Anonymous said...

Well glad you're feeling a little better anyway.

I have bursitis in my left hip and it really hurts sometimes so I understand hip pain. Every step is like someone stabbing you.

Draco and his Mom said...

You are doing the best thing for your future right now. Things will work out. Something will turn up that is perfect for you and your schedule. Take good care.

Doris Sturm said...

I wish you all the best and a strong will and determination to stick it out through the end. It'll be worth it, just like the sign says. Don't be stuck with a minimum wage job.

Let's just take a leap of faith and live like we know everything will work out for the best!

Blessings to you!

Velvet Over Steel said...

Hope you are still feeling better, Sprinkles! Ugh.. I felt for you while reading this.

I'm very excited for you and college! You will do fine and it will all work out! I'm just sure because You deserve it to!! :-)

Have a wonderful week!!
Hugs,
Coreen

the booker man said...

miss sprinkles,
i hope you are finally feelin' the betterment! my daddy had the sickies last week, too. me 'n asa were on mega cuddles patrol.

*woof*
the booker man

pee s -- i sent you a bark mail!

Zuzana said...

I have been feeling lousy for a few days as well, the better again and then worse.;) I guess it is the time of the year.;)
Glad you felt well enough and enjoyed your orientation day, even though you have still some unresolved questions about college. I have a feeling it will all sort itself out somehow.;) It always does;)
xoxo

Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

Hope you're feeling much better too! Congratulations on a successful orientation!

Woofs and Kisses!
The Fiesty Three

Post a Comment

 

(c) Copyright 2010 Zany Dezines. Premade Layout from Zany Dezines.