Monday, October 26, 2015

Chico's Blood Work Results

I copied and pasted this directly from Chico's GoFundMe page last Friday so some of you may have already seen this.  

I couldn't stand it anymore and called the vet's office at 11 AM.  Of course the doctor was busy and I had to wait almost three hours for a call back.  Ugh! 

The oncologist says that Chico's white blood cell count was off the charts.  That tells him that Chico has chronic leukemia.  He reiterated that animals with this condition can live a few weeks up to several more years.  Chico's steroid dosage has been increased and he will remain on it indefinitely, probably for life.  Thankfully this medication isn't expensive.  I think I paid a little less than $20 for 50 pills. 

The oncologist wants Chico to go back in about 4-6 weeks for another blood test.  If the results have not improved, there is the possibility of him taking a cancer medication.  The meds are very expensive though, he'd be on them for quite awhile and he would need to go in for a blood test every single month for an extended period of time. 

The oncologist did not say anything today about doing a biopsy -- I think that's because he's certain of the diagnosis from the blood work. 

While this is most distressing news, at least I have some answers now.

12 showed me some love:

Scooter said...

Hey Chico, my furiend!
Oh, I'm so sorry you are having these sickies and dogtor visits. With all of the love and POTP and healing vibes from your WyldeOne and all of us in Blogville, I'm certain that "several more years" will be the right answer for you. Lots of hugs to all of you.
Grr and Woof,
Sarge, Furiend

Idaho PugRanch said...

At least now you know what you are dealing with and yes - we voter for several more years!
hugs
Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

Two French Bulldogs said...

Sending lots of hugs and good vibes your way sweetheart
Lily & Edward

Jenny Woolf said...

It is not great but you are doing the best you can. I am sure Chico appreciates that.

Sketching with Dogs said...

What a sweet little face he has, I just want to pick him up and kiss him!
I hope he has many, many more years too.
Lynne x

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

We were hoping for better news, but at least you have something to work with now. We hope the current treatment will be enough to give Chico some good quality to his life. Hugs.

Woos - Ciara and Lightning

Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady said...

So sorry to hear about these results. Sending POTP.

Ziggy Stardust said...

I have paws crossed for you Chico and I am sending love and licks.

Ziggy Out!!

Unknown said...

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this. It's been a very long while since I've been on this site and have missed so much. But I'm glad I came on today, would you mind if I offered you a bit of advice?

I'm very much into the holistic lifestyle, both for me and for Chewy & Lilibell. I am a firm believer that with a strong immune system, anything can be fought off, or lessened in severity, Have you done any research into a cancer diet for dogs? I would highly recommend doing that, there are many articles out there that address this subject. It can't hurt at all to try this, along with the conventional medicine he is receiving.

I am praying for the best for him. Cancer can be very devastating, my brother's dog Jack just had to be helped to cross over last weekend, he had a very aggressive form of lymphoma. Here's hoping that Chico can beat the C word!!!

Kim@stuffcould.... said...

Oh no! I am so sorry for this. I hope the meds work for several years!

Unknown said...


Oh my god!! so cute ;) Kisses

Katie S said...

Poor baby!! I'm so sorry that Chico and you have gotten this news :-(

Post a Comment

 

(c) Copyright 2010 Zany Dezines. Premade Layout from Zany Dezines.