Friday, October 23, 2015

Chico's Oncology Visit


So yesterday was Chico's first oncology visit.  A friend of mine went with me because she knew it would be a difficult day for me.  I told her that I wanted to get pictures of Chico's visit but once the oncologist came in, all thoughts of pictures completely escaped me.  I did manage to get some of the outside though and of their fancy ambulance!

The visit really didn't tell me anything more now than I knew before.  The oncologist said that Chico was in good physical condition other than the last of the sores still healing up.  He thought that maybe Chico might have a mite which had caused the sores so they took some skin scrapings and checked him under some special light.  Those results came back negative.  They also took a blood test and we're waiting on the results of those now.  The oncologist said I should have them by the end of the day yesterday or early today.  They didn't call yesterday so I'll give them until noon to call before calling them today.

The oncologist said that he thinks Chico has chronic leukemia.  I somehow missed this part but my friend said last night that the oncologist thought that Chico might have some kind of autoimmune disease rather than leukemia.  I think once I heard the word leukemia, everything else beyond that was kind of a blur.  The oncologist wanted to see if Chico's blood results were any better now that he's been on medication for awhile.  The sores are almost completely healed now, so I'm hopeful the results are better too.  He suggested that after the blood work results came back that he could do a biopsy, which would be another $400.  I have to fundraise more for that because I don't have an extra $400 in my budget right now.  If it was determined that he does indeed have leukemia, we would discuss treatment options then.  The oncologist wanted to wait until we know for sure just what's wrong before we go over any options, which I totally understand.

So that's where everything stands as of this moment.  He'll remain on the steroid for the time being and we may  increase his dosage after the blood work comes back.  The dose won't be decreased at this point, but may be increased.  Please continue to keep my sweet Chico in your thoughts and prayers.

6 showed me some love:

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Poor little Chico. How awful to go through this. I am glad the meds for now are inexpensive. Let's hope they work. We just lost our Lacy doggie. She was 14 and had doggie dementia. It was time to say good-by...Such sadness.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

The good news is that the sores are healing and you are doing your best fo him.

Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady said...

Sending you POTP. While I have never dealt with cancer in a pet, I did deal with a terminal auto-immune disorder so know about the doctors, tests, and not knowing. Hugs.

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

Poor Chico... we have our paws crossed fur him...

NOW, we want to discuss this Dogtor... WE Really LIKE that he is not RUSHING into thingys... that may not even be needed... We give him 8 paws up fur being... the Slow and Steady... wins the Race sort of guy!!! WE like him a LOT from what you have said... LIKE brings TRUST.. and one MUST trust the Dogtor..
This gives you all some time to BREATH and get your thoughts together...

Scooter said...

Hey Chico, my furiend!
Wow, I'm so sorry you are having these sickies, but your Mom and your dogtor are gonna take excellent care of you. Lots more healing vibes and POTP and hugs to you and to your Mom beclaws she's so worried for you too.
Grr and Woof,
Sarge, Police Commish

Ziggy Stardust said...

I have paws crossed for Chico. I am sending love and licks.

Ziggy Out!!

Post a Comment

 

(c) Copyright 2010 Zany Dezines. Premade Layout from Zany Dezines.