Friday, November 25, 2011

Half Full Friday!

Half Full Friday is a series of weekly posts that Eyegirl originally started in June 2009.  We believe that a lot of our happiness is determined by our attitude about the things that happen to us.  So by participating, I'm deciding to see the glass as half full instead of half empty; I'm choosing to concentrate on the positives instead of dwelling on the negatives.  The Half Full Friday posts are a way to do just that.  They're a list of the things in my life that have brought me happiness over the past week.  I'm determined to find something good in each day.  Are you?

For the next week, I'd like to challenge each of you to keep a list of at least one thing that brought you happiness each day.  Be sure to link up here once you've posted your list!  (This isn't a blog hop so please only link up if you've participated by posting your happy list.  Thanks!)


***
~I'm happy because...
I've had an entire week off from work and school!  Me and the chi's have spent lots of quality time together!

I've slept in every day but one!

I still have two more days off!

I found a paid internship for next semester that I'm going to apply for!  It pays more than my current job does AND I'd be getting college credit for it!

I mostly got my car fixed!

I got most of my homework done this week!  Just need to catch up on some reading, do an outline and get it sent out to my study group.
*****
Wow, this week has just zoomed by!  I knew that it would.  Time off always does when it's so limited.  I really appreciate holiday's and long weekends so much more now that I'm back to school and work. When I wasn't doing anything, they were just like any other day.

No matter how hard I try, I just can't convince myself that I need to work on math this week.  Because my professor told us that we didn't have to do our required online hours this week, I haven't touched it at all.  I even have my notebook, pencil and calculator all set up by the computer but I just can't force myself to even log in to the website.

Thanksgiving wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  It was very quiet.  I've never been a big fan of Thanksgiving anyways but I really wasn't looking forward to this year's as it was the first big holiday since my dad died.  Actually, I guess it isn't.  He died July 3rd so I guess July 4th was the first big holiday.  Anyways, I definitely felt the loss yesterday.  As I said, it was a very quiet day.  I kept thinking about how he always watched football while my mom did all the cooking.  He always carved the turkey and would fight with my mom about how to open the sparkling cider bottle.  (He was an alcoholic so we didn't have champagne.)  My mom said a quick prayer of thanks before we ate and her eyes teared up.  It finally occurred to me that as much as I miss my dad at times, it must be 100x worse for her.  

Today is Black Friday and I'll be spending it at home catching up on reading.  After bringing my car in for a simple fix, I'm now freaked out about how I'll pay my mortgage in January.  Thank God I put money away from my job but now that money is all gone and I still have to finish getting my car fixed. I originally took it in because my gas gauge wasn't working.  I ended up with a new fuel pump and they told me I needed to replace the front tires IMMEDIATELY!!!  One tire, the tread was separating from the inside part (can't think of what it's called right now).  I can't believe it was that bad and I never noticed it before!  Still need to replace the brakes and get an oil change.  This has been a good little car though and I've had to do very little maintenance to it over the years so I guess it's all just catching up to me now. 


***Edit:  I don't know why the Mr. Linky thing didn't work and originally, the font was really tiny for some reason.  Blogger is sooooooooooooooo annoying sometimes!

7 showed me some love:

Velvet Over Steel said...

Oh, I sure feel for your mom. So glad that you were with her!!!

I know what you mean about your car. Mine's been very good too, but when one thing needs done, a few others always pop up. But that's very good that you went in so they could point out the tires to you. That was meant to be.. thinking God was watching over you when the gas gauge stopped working. Just saying my thoughts out loud.. :-)

Have a Wonderful Weekend!!!!!
Hugs,
Coreen XOXO

Dontmissyoursunsetlady said...

Hi,

I cannot fathom how hard the holidays must be with your loss... I'm so sorry, but it sounds like you are a very positive person, even in your grief... Yay for time off! Sorry Mr. Linky would not obey....

Finn said...

Blogger is getting real annoying! Half the blogs I follow don't show up on my dashboard and I missed this post of yours this morning! I digress...

I hope that you were able to enjoy your Thanksgiving and that you and your mom are healing. It is always so hard to have the first big gathering after losing someone.

And, I hope you get the internship! Keeping our fingers crossed!

The Daily Pip said...

That stinks about your car. Our car died this week, too, in the rain, in rush hour traffic, it just stopped and we had to push it over to the side of the road. It's an old car and the question is do we put more money into it or buy a newer car. We ended up fixing the old car, but I am sure something else will go wrong with it soon. It's about a billion years old and all banged up, but papa refuses to let it go ...

Zuzana said...

Happy belated Thanksgiving dear sprinkles.;)
I can imagine it must have been a bittersweet holiday for you this year...:((
Good luck with your math, it was the subject I hated the most in school.;)
Have a happy Monday,
xoox

Anonymous said...

I like your "half full Friday" list. Time off is always so nice.
I'm sorry to hear about your loss and am sending positive thoughts your way.
I hope your car is doing ok now : )

Meg said...

Holidays are always hard after the loss of a loved one, I am glad it was nice and quiet but it is definitely hard.

How nice that you had all this time off, I love time off--I never feel like it is enough though!

Post a Comment

 

(c) Copyright 2010 Zany Dezines. Premade Layout from Zany Dezines.