Friday, June 29, 2012

Half Full Friday!


Half Full Friday is a series of weekly posts that Eyegirl originally started in June 2009.  We believe that a lot of our happiness is determined by our attitude about the things that happen to us.  So by participating, I'm deciding to see the glass as half full instead of half empty; I'm choosing to concentrate on the positives instead of dwelling on the negatives.  The Half Full Friday posts are a way to do just that.  They're a list of the things in my life that have brought me happiness over the past week.  I'm determined to find something good in each day.  Are you?


For the next week, I'd like to challenge each of you to keep a list of at least one thing that brought you happiness each day.  Be sure to link up here once you've posted your list!  (This isn't a blog hop so please only link up if you've participated by posting your happy list on your own blog.  Thanks!)

~I'm happy because...
I enjoyed the garden tour last weekend! 

I won a potted plant at the afterparty!  I gave it to my mom.

I made some excellent chocolate chip cookies a few days ago! 

I cleaned my bathroom!  I HATE cleaning it, so I tend to put it off longer than I should. 

Only 6 more weeks until school starts!  I wish it was sooner...   
 
I got around to visiting most of you this week!  I'm going to try and visit more of you this weekend. 
*****
Tomorrow (June 30th)  is your last day to get those dog swap packages in the mail. I still haven't heard from the majority of participants this year.  Thanks to those that have let me know that they sent/gotten theirs.  I've enjoyed reading the posts to see what everyone has gotten so far.  Once everyone has done their posts, I'll include the links here so everyone can see if they're interested. 
*****
I can't believe it's been almost a year since my father passed away.  I was reading a book this past week about a father who was in a vegetative state and the family was trying to decide whether to pull the plug and let him go or to let him continue to stay that way.  It was fine until about the last 10 pages or so, when it hit me that the last two days of my father's life were basically like that.  He wasn't really in a coma, but he certainly wasn't conscious.  I remember asking a nurse why he was like that, and she rudely told me it was "part of the process." 

I still mostly just feel relief that he's gone; not just for me, but for him too.  No one should have to suffer the way he did.  I really thought I'd feel a lot sadder when he died.  Don't get me wrong, I do have moments of sadness.  I cried when I got to those last 10 pages in that book because it reminded me of him.  I wonder if one day it'll all hit me at once and I'll feel really sad for a long time.  I think about him every single day, and I don't think I'll ever stop missing him. 

10 showed me some love:

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

How very nice of you to have given the potted plant to your mom. THAT was really sweet.

I smiled when I saw that you CAN'T WAIT for your classes to begin!!! THAT is super!!!

still have not heard if Dommy got his pressie yet.

Finn said...

I remember reading about your father passing last year. I wouldn't have been able to read that book either. Hope you are feeling better and that you have a great weekend!

Sketching with Dogs said...

Cleaning bathrooms is my pet hate too!
Well done for winning the plant, your cookies sound delicious!
Lynne x

Anonymous said...

It is always nice to think of the small things that go right in our daliy life. Gratitude is awesome.
I think you are handling your father's passing well. It had only been a year and will get better with time. Although, there will always be time when we feel the void of their abscense.

Kristen said...

There's a ton of reasons I wished we lived closer... but if we did, just know I would totally clean your bathroom for you. I love cleaning. I am such a weirdo :)

Happy weekend!!!!

Velvet Over Steel said...

Oh dear.. my dad had cancer too and I had many, many mixed and very sad feelings after he died. That nurse was obviously 'jaded' and that is so awful what she said. Unfortunately, most get like that after awhile and I'm pretty sure I couldn't handle being a nurse.
That was so nice of you to give you mom the plant!
Your school starts really early... ours starts on August 20th. Going to be here before we know it. :-) Enjoy your Summer & 'boys'!! :-)
HUGS,
Coreen

Unknown said...

Looks like you had a wonderful day with lots of thoughts!

Zuzana said...

Oh, what a lovely post... I can imagine how you must feel when you think about your dad and the upcoming anniversary of his passing...
Glad you could still find something positive to write about - have a great week ahead dear friend.;))
xoxo

JJ said...

Hey girl! My stuff is in the mail. well it was on Saturday. I had the BF mail the package. He can't seem to find the tracking number receipt. We're still looking for it. I will email it to you when we find it.

JJ said...

My father passed away when I was young. It hasn't gotten any easier. I always try to do things that day that are something he would enjoy. Make me feel as though he still there with me.

Post a Comment

 

(c) Copyright 2010 Zany Dezines. Premade Layout from Zany Dezines.