Friday, September 17, 2010

Half Full Friday and Blog of the Week

Guess what?  It's Half Full Friday again!!!  Yes, I know you're just as excited about it as I am!  So join in by heading over to Eyegirl's blog and getting some quality time in with Mr. Linky!  Come ON, you know you want to....
~I'm happy because...
My brother sent me some pictures of my beautiful new nephew!

I got to go to Arts In The Park this year!

I finally heard back about my financial aid!

I found out there's a small possibility of my unemployment being extended again!

Hero gave me an award!  Thanks Hero, I'll be posting it on Monday!

I'm happy the lady @ Job Service gave me some help with my resume and interview tips!
****
Just a quick shout out to the incredibly wonderful ~KS for this beautiful post!  Her blog is one of my favorites so to be included in this list was a huge honor.  I told her this was my favorite post and not because she included me but because it shows who she truly is as a person.  It brought tears to my eyes and when I read it again just now, it brought them again. 
****
Nothing too terribly exciting happened this week.  Yesterday I went to Job Service and talked to someone about my resume and to get some interview tips.  I'm sending out soooooo many resumes and it's frustrating to only get about one interview a month.  Then I go on the interview but I never get the job.  I figured it couldn't hurt to talk to someone. 

The lady I spoke to was so positive about everything.  She glanced at my resume and said it looks good but could use a few slight tweaks.  The content was good but she suggested a few different ways of changing it so the fact that I haven't worked in a year isn't so blazingly obvious. 

She said she thinks I may not be coming across as confident in my interviews as I could be.  I told her I agree but after so many interviews and no call backs, it's hard to have any confidence anymore.  She told me to dress up today for no reason at all so I wore a pretty dress to hand out food this morning.  And you know what?  I did feel better about myself! 
****
I think I've pretty much decided on a major for college now.  I'm kind of leaning towards Business and Economics.  I'm soooooo annoyed though, other people keep trying to decide for me what I should do.  First, a friend told me I should take classes to be an RN.  That is of no interest to me, so no.  Then my mom asked me if I considered looking into radiology.  I told her no, I'm not interested.  She said, "Well, you were thinking at one time about becoming a physical therapist."  Um, a physical therapist and a radiologist do two totally different things.  So she tells me, "Yes, but I'm sure you'd have to take a lot of the same classes."  Probably true but again, I have no interest in becoming a radiologist, so no.  I have no desire to work in a hospital setting.  So I was telling someone about this conversation and how annoyed I was that it feels like everyone else is trying to tell me what I should do with my life.   Initially she told me I should do what I wanted but then she asked if I would be going for an Associates Degree or a Bachelor's.  I told her I wanted to go for the Bachelor's and she said, "Oh, I don't think you really need to go for four years.  An Associates Degree should be sufficient!"  I just wanted to scream, "Were you even listening to the first part of our conversation?!?" 
****
Next week I'll be skipping Wordless Wednesday and doing my Blog of the Week that day instead.  It'll be a repeat and you'll understand why when you read it. 

This week's Blog of the Week is one I found from some article.  I don't even remember what website it came from because it's been awhile since I've read it and I didn't keep track of it.

Warning:  If you are easily offended, this is not the website for you!


Yes, it really is about what you think it is!  Have you ever used a public restroom and found a witty poem or saying etched into the paint inside the stall?  Usually you just get in and out as quickly as you can but sometimes while you're doing your business, you might take a slight moment to look at your surroundings and find yourself having a chuckle or two at the scribblings on the wall.

The site was created by Jonathan Horak, a janitor at the University of Texas.  One particular musing drew his attention and started it all!  He began to think not so much about what he'd just read but more about what stalls can reflect about society in general -- a whole lot! 

I'm not sure how often this site is updated as the entries aren't dated and I don't check it daily.  As of this writing, there are currently 359 posts.  They each include the first name of the person who submitted it and the general area where they found it (ie:  Hotel Lobby Restroom)  along with the city and state/country.  There's a Facebook page as well.

16 showed me some love:

Kristen said...

You make me smile :) And I love ya for that!

Hooray for pics of your nephew!! I love new babies... cuddling 'em especially. I don't even mind changing diapers because I just love being near them.

As for a major... don't stress too much about it. I changed mine four or five times. Having been in a position where I did hiring for a long time... we didn't necessarily look for the actual major as much as we did the degree. Having a degree shows that someone is committed and knows how to learn and how to think critically. No matter what major you choose, you will rock it and go on to conquer the world ladycakes!!!

And if you ever want me to take a peak through your resume... I'd be happy to do so and send some tips back. Resume writing is kinda a specialty of mine.

Okay... enough blabbing from me! Happy weekend!!

Velvet Over Steel said...

Great Happy list again! So, so glad your brother sent you pictures of your nephew! I think you will get to see him sometime & by the holidays I'm thinking. :-)

The person at the job service sounds like a true 'angel'. People do notice if we're feeling good about yourself. I noticed that this years students where I work are much more friendly and talkative to Me than in the past 4 years I've been here. I think it's because I'm happier and more approachable or something. Giving off better vibes maybe.

Hang in there!!! & Have a wonderful weekend!!
HUGS,
Coreen

Betsy Brock said...

Hi there! This is my first time joining in on Half Full Fridays. Your list is fabulous...sounds like you've had a great week!

Deborah said...

Hi, That was a nice post and your right about people trying to be helpful! All good intentions, I'm sure!!!
Yes, I am very excited about the baby. I hope you get to see your brother's baby someday!
I am still reading the book, you will be getting it next! It's not boring, I'm just busy than I thought I would be when I said I would read it!
I hope you have a fun weekend!
xxoo
Deborah

♥ Sallie said...

I love your Half Full Friday. :)

The Daily Pip said...

Lots of great news!

Your pal, Pip

Melissa said...

Happy Friday sprinkles!

That's so awesome you got to see a pic of your nephew and that your unemployment might be extended.

Glad you went to the job service place to talk to someone. Sometimes having someone else look at your resume really does a lot of good. They can make suggestions you might not think of.

Love the Blog of the Week, so funny!

jen said...

Great post today!

I stopped by KS blog and the post made me cry too.
Sher ahs a beautiful and funny blog!
Thanks for sharing:)

Zuzana said...

It seems like it has been a very busy week for you.;)
So glad you got to see pictures of your nephew - any chance of seeing him for real...?
I love your choice of classes, so exciting.;) It is never late to go back to school.;)
I will now go and read the post that made you cry, as I am sure it must have been as beautiful as you are, dear sprinkles.
Have a lovely weekend my friend,
xoxoxoxo

PS: I have not forgotten about your tags, sorry about this terrible delay, I hope to get to it sometimes soon, my life has been a bit upside down lately....

Summer said...

You make me smile too! Yay for hearing back from financial aid and Job Services helping with your resume!!

Here is the link to Kelly's Korner http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/2010/09/show-us-your-life-living-rooms.html
you should totally join in!! I agree it is so fun to look at other peoples decorating ideas

xoxo
Summer :0)

Doris Sturm said...

Just wanted to stop by to say hello and see your progress. I'm glad you found someone to help you spiff up your resume. I guess one interview a month is better than none...so let's be thankful for that.

I know your mom loves you, but sometimes moms forget their kids aren't little children anymore - myself included - and we have to learn to curb our opinions, unless we are directly asked...sometimes people just want to think things through while talking out loud - no input needed!

Good luck on your job hunt. I am thinking of you and continue to remember you in my prayers.

Love,
Doris and Gizzy :-)

the booker man said...

miss sprinkles!
i'm so glad you got to go to arts in the park this year, too, especially since that nice lady on the shuttle gave you all those helpful infos about financial aid and that math lab place! :)
i can totally understand how doing the resume and interview thingie for so long kinda got you a little down in the dumps. yay for the job service lady helpin' you get a boost of confidence!
oh, and mama changed her major a couple times in college, so don't get the stresses, okie dokie?? you do what you want to do, and if you change your mind, it's 100% a-okay!!

*woof*
the booker man

Zona said...

Dressing up for no apparent reason is such a good tip! I'm going to go lay out some clothes for my mom right after this!!

We heard about how "Penny" from BBT broke her leg but not how and we didn't even think about how they'll write it into the show. All of those steps they have in the building, I guess no stairwell conversations for awhile. Hehe... Thanks for filling us in! (Mom is also obsessed with Friends (thus by blog titles) and remembers when LeBlanc broke his arm.)

Wags,
Zona

Diana Chiew said...

Hi Sprinkles,

I like the dressing up for no reason tip. Nice to know that you've felt better about yourself by doing that.

You have asked about the extra doggie in one of my post. She is Pinky. She has been returned to us because they couldn't find time for her.

Hope you have a great week ahead.

- Diana

AndreaLeigh said...

I know my advice is unsolicited, but as a person in the top 2 lowest paying fields....

Think about what you can do with that degree. What specific positions can you apply for? What would it take to get your dream job?

I wish now I had went for a degree with more earning potential.

Anonymous said...

As always, thanks for joining me for half full friday! And thank you so much for keeping it up in my absence! Good luck with school. It's tough to decide what to do, but I'm sure you'll figure it out. Just make sure it is what YOU want! No one else lives your life, so they shouldn't be making your choices for you!

Post a Comment

 

(c) Copyright 2010 Zany Dezines. Premade Layout from Zany Dezines.