Friday, September 9, 2011

Half Full Friday!

Half Full Friday is a series of weekly posts that Eyegirl originally started in June 2009.  We believe that a lot of our happiness is determined by our attitude about the things that happen to us.  So by participating, I'm deciding to see the glass as half full instead of half empty; I'm choosing to concentrate on the positives instead of dwelling on the negatives.  The Half Full Friday posts are a way to do just that.  They're a list of the things in my life that have brought me happiness over the past week.  I'm determined to find something good in each day.  Are you?

For the next week, I'd like to challenge each of you to keep a list of at least one thing that brought you happiness each day.  Be sure to link up here once you've posted your list!  (This isn't a blog hop so please only link up if you've participated by posting your happy list.  Thanks!)

~I'm happy because...

I managed to pick up all the chicken my neighbor threw into our yard before my boys noticed it!  She likes to throw food over the fence for them.

I got my haircut yesterday!

I'm going to Arts in the Park this weekend!

I went grocery shopping this week and now my fridge, freezer and pantry are full!

I lost 3 pounds! 

No one used my debit card after I accidently left it at the gas station!
*****
This has been kind of a hard week with missing my dad.  On Tuesday, I had to run a few errands.  The first place I stopped, I stood in line behind some guy who looked very much like my father did from behind.  He was about the same height and weight, wore similar clothing, his hair and skin coloring were about the same - everything!  I didn't get to see the guy's face though.  When I first saw him, I thought to myself, "There's my dad!"  But then I remembered it couldn't be him.

A little later on, I ran into an acquaintance at the grocery store.  I last saw her just after my father first learned of the cancer diagnosis.  She mentioned at that time that her own father hadn't been doing well and the doctors feared he had lukemia.  Turns out her father is just fine and doing much better these days.  We talked for at least a half hour, maybe more.  She told me about her first husband who died when she was just 34.  I knew she had been married before but didn't realize the first hubs had died.  So sad!  I talked about my dad a little bit and started crying.  I think seeing that man earlier in the day and then talking about him with my friend just made it all kind of come back to me that he's really gone.

Wednesday night/Thursday morning, I dreamed about my dad.  I don't really remember much about them other than it was a series of dreams where he kept popping up.  He was dead in the dreams but I kept seeing him when no one else could and he was trying to make me smile by doing different things.  This is the third time I've dreamed about him since he passed on. 

Most of the time, I feel like I'm dealing with his death really well, but every once in awhile it just hits me and makes me sad.  My dad used to say he was going to outlive us all and I truly believed him.

11 showed me some love:

Jen said...

I'm so sorry that you're having these feelings about your dad! But honestly, it's all part of the grieving process. Initially, I wanted to tell you to just keep busy and keep your mind off of him but then I thought, that's not good advice! You want to remember him! You want to remember his looks and his mannorisms and his voice and his personality. You NEED to remember all of that. But sweetie, just take it day by day and you'll slowly get through this. Email me if you ever want to chat!! xo

Scooter said...

Hey Wylde One!
Wow, an Art show and a fur trim all in the same week? Perfect! Sounds like a good deal to me!
Grr and Woof,
Sarge, COP

Dontmissyoursunsetlady said...

I am sorry for your loss! I cannot imagine how difficult it must be. My mom is in remission, right now, but battled cancer 4 times. She is a single parent. Praying comfort for you!

Frankie Furter and Ernie said...

I am so VERY MUCH GLAD.. that you did not have somebuddy use your card. WHEW!!! Blessing on whoever turned it in for you.

I think it is really normal fur you to be thinkin of your dad and missing him.

jen said...

LOL! I am so glad that no one used your debit card! I have done that once or twice before too!
Your posy made me smile today! It was very upbeat!

Velvet Over Steel said...

Soory you had a hard week missing your dad. I sure have been there.
Sending you a Big virtual Hug!! XO

Congrats on the 3 lbs; glad your credit card was NOT used and doesn't your neighbor know that 'chicken bones' are dangerous for animals?! I'm sure her heart was in the right place though.

Take care and have a wonderful weekend!!

The Rantings of a Drama Queen's Mum said...

That must be so hard without your Dad. Seeing a guy that looked like him & all. Sometimes I love to dream. Often my dreams seem so real too. I need to learn to look at the glass half full. I've had a rough 2 weeks too.

Maggie Mae and Max said...

All the thoughts, dreams and "sightings" of your dad are normal. My dad passed away over 20 years ago and I still experience the same thing. :) Don't forget he will always be alive in your heart. :)

Blessings,
Maggie Mae's mom

Maxmom said...

Hi there Sprinkles,
I'm sorry I've not been around for a while and I am also very sorry to hear about your father.
When my own dad died, I bought a journal and recorded all the good things I remembered about him. It is really therapeutic, not to mention historical (for later, when I get old myself). Why not try it? It will become one of your treasures, I am certain of it.
sending lotsaluv to you.
Love your positive post.
MAXMOM IN SA

Meg said...

I truly think that is how dealing with death works--some days are good, other days are not. I hope you continue to deal with your Dad's death and it will get easier each day. I'm thinking of you.

AndreaLeigh said...

yay for haircuts and YAY for loosing three pounds! that is great, girl!

Post a Comment

 

(c) Copyright 2010 Zany Dezines. Premade Layout from Zany Dezines.