Friday, June 4, 2010

Half Full Friday and Blog of the Week

This week has been extremely uneventful.  Pretty much NOTHING has happened.  In keeping with the Half Full Friday theme, I guess I should be happy that at least nothing bad happened!

As always, if you want to join in the fun, head over to Eyegirl's and hang with my man, Mr. Linky.
I'm happy I got some peanut butter Oreos this week!  Yummy!

I'm happy some of my roses are beginning to bloom!

I'm happy I got to talk to a couple of old friends this week!

I'm happy I got started with painting my bedroom a pretty lavender color!

I'm happy I got to watch a cute landscaping guy working a few days ago!  Too bad he wasn't working on my yard, I could've watched him up close rather than spy from afar.

I'm happy I got to participate in the CDAN Q&A on Facebook yesterday!

I'm happy the ceremony I'm working on seems to be coming together the way I want it to!  I hope I didn't just jinx myself now by saying that.

I'm happy our tornado warning earlier today was cancelled!

This week's Blog of the Week is a fun one!  I found it from a post someone else did on their blog about it and have been reading ever since. 

What is a cake wreck?  The blog originator, Jen, defines it as:
A Cake Wreck is any cake that is unintentionally sad, silly, creepy, inappropriate - you name it.  A Wreck is not necessarily a poorly-made cake; it's simply one I find funny, for any of a number of reasons.  Anyone who has ever smeared frosting on a baked good has made a Wreck at one time or another, so I'm not here to vilify decorators:  Cake Wrecks is just about finding the funny in unexpected, sugar-filled places.
This blog was started in April 2008.  Jen writes most of the posts herself, with her husband a few friends helping out here and there.  All of the cakes are professionally made, meaning they're either for sale or someone has paid for them. 

Now, I've never taken any professional cake decorating classes but I have absolutely no doubt that I could do a better job of creating a masterpiece than some of these "professionals."  There's a wide variety of cakes pictured here ~ some are bizarre, some are weird, some are creepy, some are ugly and gross and some are kinda cool!  My favorites though, are the ones with the creative grammar and misspellings.

Whenever I go to the bakery section of any grocery store, I always make a point to check out the cakes and see if there might be one that would be appropriate for this blog.  So far I haven't found any.  Once, at a job I held long ago, a co-worker brought in a birthday cake for me where my name was misspelled.  I'm EXTREMELY picky about having my name spelled correctly, probably because it rarely is unless I specifically make a point to ensure whoever I'm talking to spells it right and even then, it's still often incorrect.  My co-worker said he made a point to let the bakery know how to spell it when he ordered it but it was still wrong.  That's the closest I've come to finding a cake for the blog and even then, it still wasn't as awful as some of these.

The blog is updated almost daily but for some reason I don't read it that often.  I seem to forget about it and only catch up about once a month or so.

If you decide you really enjoy the blog, you can also order the book from Amazon, Barnes & Nobles, Borders and IndieBound.  I haven't read it so I'm not sure if it's all new material or not.

10 showed me some love:

Melissa said...

I'm happy your tornado warning was cancelled too! That would be scary!

Brian Miller said...

thanks for popping in tonight...ok, what is a peanut butter oreo...and how did i miss this...? smiles.

Zuzana said...

I am happy that roses in imminent bloom make you happy.;) Here mine have buds and will bloom in a few weeks.;) Good for you watching a cute boy.;))
You always find the most exciting blogs/sites.;)
My name is never spelled right and I have gotten used to it. The variations people come up with are amazing.;)
Have a great weekend dear sprinkles, here it is sunny and warm
xoxo

Unknown said...

Hey - congratulations!! Great to hear you got a new digital camera - and a bargain too! Really looking forward to seein lots of pictures of your little Chi's now!

Hsin-Yi

MommyLisa said...

We talked about that last night...reading blogs sometimes happens like that...all at once every few weeks. ;)

koko said...

That's a lot of "happys" for the week... peanut butter oreos? Yummy.

Licks, hero

Life With Dogs said...

I'm not happy another Monday is just around the corner. :(

Hope you had a great weekend!

Sketching with Dogs said...

Mmmm, peanut butter oreos, don't think we get them - pity!
Glad you didn't get a storm. It's lovely to see roses bloom.
Lynne

Velvet Over Steel said...

Great list & post! Internet was down and then I was gone for the weekend. I promise to Participate this week. :-)

the booker man said...

miss sprinkles,
my mama LOVES cake wrecks, too! me 'n asa just want to eat the cakes on there. heehee.
*woof*
the booker man

Post a Comment

 

(c) Copyright 2010 Zany Dezines. Premade Layout from Zany Dezines.