Friday, June 18, 2010

Half Full Friday and Blog of the Week

It's been a busy week and today will be even busier from about 3:30 PM this afternoon until about 9:30 AM tomorrow morning.  It'll be fun but exhausting and then it'll be all over until next year.  Whew!

Thankfully, I still have time for Half Full Friday!  Yay!  If you want to join, head over to Eyegirl's and spend some time getting intimate with Mr. Linky.
I'm happy I got a free cappuccino this past weekend!

I'm happy we've had beautiful weather for most of the week!

I'm happy I got some new followers this week!  Welcome!

I'm happy my mom mowed my lawn for me this week!  She got a new lawnmower and wanted to try it out.

I'm happy I packed most of the stuff I'll need today well in advance!

I'm happy I'm going to get to enjoy smore's tonight! 

I haven't had a lot of free time to look for new blogs or do research on ones I've already found this week.  But I didn't want to disappoint so I do still have a Blog of the Week for you!  It's not a full review so I reserve the right to reuse this particular blog again sometime if I decide to do so.

I first became aware of MaxMom from a post by Cocorue when she asked for prayers for sweet Max, a beautiful golden retreiver who was very, very ill.  She linked to his blog so I clicked over to it to leave a few well wishes.  It could have easily have ended there but I kept thinking about Max throughout the day and kept going back for more news.  Sadly, Max passed away earlier this year and I dedicated a Wordless Wednesday to him.  It just seemed to be the right thing to do.


This is MaxMom's personal blog.  It was called Bric-A-Brac and she renamed it after her dog.  The reason I'm recommending this particular blog as the Blog of the Week is simply because of the 2010 Soccer World Cup.

Now, I'm not into soccer or any other sport.  I don't understand the majority of sports and don't really care to.  However, MaxMom lives in South Africa and has shared her excitement for the games in a unique way.  She doesn't watch the game and post the winning scores while giving commentary about what happened.  Nope, she's done something very different!  She calls it Unity in Diversity.

She asked for volunteers to type up a post about a team that happens to be playing that day.  It doesn't have to necessarily be a post about soccer, although it can be.  It can simply just be about the country itself or even a recipe that originated there.  She links back to those posts and keeps the links in her sidebar so that you can go back and check them out later if you've missed them.  I haven't been able to read them all but have found some wonderful blogs from this!

She's also posted various recipes she's found in the newspaper and around from all the various countries participating in the SWC.

I'm excited that she's done this.  We may be different in race, culture, religion, political beliefs, cuisine, etc.  But Unity in Diversity is a celebration of these differences!  As much as my ego may want everyone to feel the same way I do on certain issues, the world would be a very different and very boring place if we were all  the same. 

She didn't think she'd get to attend any of the games and was very disappointed.  Her husband, however, was able to score some tickets at the last minute and surprised her.  She had a wonderful time!   

4 showed me some love:

Zuzana said...

I always enjoy your Friday posts because they are so positive and so full of depth and sensitivity.
I love all the blogs of the week choices, you always come with some substantial places that deserve our attention.
I also want to thank you for your always kind words at my place, you leave the best comments and I really want you to know that I am so happy you do keep stopping by. I loved the one you left on my plants and people post very much, but the again I love all your comments.
I hope you are having a lovely weekend, even though a busy one.;) I am at work today, so my Saturday post is one of the more boring kinds,
xoxo

P said...

I've never had s'mores. :( But I HAVE had nice weather this week!

Mango the Maltese kiddo said...

Maxmom's blog deserves our attention as the Blog of the Week.
I love her positive pleasant outlook!
Viva Blogging!
Cheers!

Sketching with Dogs said...

Those are some good things to be thankful for.
Maxmom is so inspiring!
Lynne

Post a Comment

 

(c) Copyright 2010 Zany Dezines. Premade Layout from Zany Dezines.