Friday, June 25, 2010

Half Full Friday and Blog of the Week

Yet another week has passed me by.  This has been a pretty uneventful week for the most part.  After being so busy the prior 2 weeks, I'm actually quite happy about that!

In keeping with that theme, it's Half Full Friday!  If you want to play along, go to Eyegirl's and spend some quality time with Mr. Linky.
I'm happy that my community project is over with until next year!

I'm happy I've already been accepted back to the project for next year!

I'm happy that my leg and hip are starting to feel better!  They've really been bothering me a lot for the last couple of days and I'm not sure why.

I'm happy that I have my mom's parakeet, Sunshine, for a few days!  She's a lot of fun, even if she is a bit messy! 

I'm happy I followed up on my schooling and found out things will be a little easier than I expected!

I'm happy that Chico hasn't been as bad about "marking" things lately as he has been in the past.

My mom and dad have gone camping for a few days so I'm caring for their beta fish and parakeet.  I tried to get a picture of Sunshine but so far haven't had much luck.  The bars on her cage are fairly close together and the quality of my camera isn't wonderful so any pictures that I've managed to get of her haven't turned out very well.  I still need the practice though so I'll keep trying.  I'm not sure how much longer I'll have her.

Once my leg and hip are fully up to par, I want to take my boys out walking on a trail near my house and try to get some pictures there.  It's a beautiful trail and will be a good place to practice my camera skills.  I hate that I can't look through the viewfinder and have what I see be what I'm taking a picture of!  Grrrrrr!!!

I'm all registered for school and wondered why I haven't heard anything back from them so I called them on Monday.  Turns out they're still waiting on my high school transcripts.  I asked that they be sent weeks ago so this really shocked me!  They told me I could get around this by taking their Compass tests which I'm going to have to take anyways.  I guess they're like placement tests kind of, which is how they were described to me, just to show that I have an understanding of the work and can actually do it.  I'll have to do them for writing, reading and math.  I'm not concerned about the reading and writing but totally freaked out about the math.  Yes, my career is in banking but the vast majority of the work is all done completely on computers so I never needed to worry about it.  But ~ I found a website that teaches you all about math from the very basics on up so I've been practicing with that.  I'm still nervous about it but it can only help.

Also, I found this phone number for help with studying for GED's.  I called it and explained that I've graduated from high school already and asked if they could help me study for the Compass test and they said yes!  So between the two, hopefully I can pass that test and the basic math class I'll have to take to graduate from the school.

I'm not sure how I found this particular Blog of the Week.  It reminds me of PostSecret only it's not quite as creative in that there aren't any decorated postcards to go with it.


The premise of this website is basically the same as PostSecret, posting a secret regret anonymously.  Should you choose to do so, you only include your age and gender but not your name.  You're encouraged to check back daily to see if your regret was posted.  This site also allows comments which PostSecret does not and was originated in 2007.

The two sites are difficult not to compare.  Honestly, I'm not sure which one I prefer.  I kind of like PostSecret a little more because of the postcards.  It's only updated once a week but it's updated with 20 postcards and more often than that on twitter.  This particular site is updated on a daily basis with only one secret regret.  With that said, it allows the person enough room to say exactly what they want to say and not have to worry about whether it'll all fit on a postcard.  Plus they can clarify something if needed in the comment section or respond to a question should they choose to do so.  I don't check the site daily but when I do check it, there is always at least one regret (and usually more) that I can relate to.

You can become a follower on facebook and twitter and even buy the book.  The book is currently in the works containing favorites from the site and never before featured entries.  I'm not sure when it'll be published.    

There's links in the sidebar to a couple of places to help anyone who might be having issues dealing with their regrets.  I haven't checked out the links so I don't know how helpful they are but I like that they're there.  Plus, even if I may didn't find it helpful, that doesn't mean that someone else might not!

7 showed me some love:

the booker man said...

miss sprinkles,
hmmm, i'm not sure how i would handle having a parakeet in my house. i like to chase birdies. heehee. how do chico and shiver like their new visitor?
my mama had the same reaction as you about the math test. she cringes when she hears anythingie about maths! she says she can't remember much after the multiplication tables!
anywho, we know you will do grrreat with a little refresher class and stuff. :)
i hope you leggie and hip feel better so you an go enjoy that trail with your doggies!
happy weekend!
*woof*
the booker man

Meg said...

I can't wait to check out that site you recommended. It sounds like something I would like to read.

It sounds like fun that you are getting to watch the birdie and the fish, the bird sounds like a bit more fun!

I hope your leg and hip start feeling well enough so you can go out on that hike sometime soon.

~Meg @ "Through the Roses"

Velvet Over Steel said...

That is so great that you are going back to school! I wish I had years ago; but I don't think I have the energy to take night classes (my only choice right now). So I've been taking all the trainings that I can find.
My youngest son has the same type of bird. She is always so Happy! I look at her when I get down about being lone and it sure doesn't bother her. She sings all day, every day! :-)
& again, thanks for the show the 2 links you like. I'm very interested in the post and thoughts.
Have a Wonderful, Wonderful weekend my friend!!!
HUGS,
Coreen

Zuzana said...

Dear sprinkles, I love your positive refreshing Friday posts.;)
As well as new web sites to get acquainted with.;)
I am sorry that you have pain in your legs and hips, I hope that will get better soon.
Enjoy the company of your new pets.;)
I will be taking a short blog break and therefore would like to wish you a lovely summer, i should be back sometimes in mid July.;)
Many hugs!

Cheryl, Indiana, Shingo and Molly said...

Hope your havin' a grrrreat weekend!!

Pee Ess!!
Can you send our Moms your mailing addy one more time!! She's finally getting around to having those collars mailed!!
moodyrichardson at yahoo dot com

P said...

I had a quick look at that website there and within approximately 20 seconds i felt really sad for the people contributing their regrets. Don't think it's happy enough for me. :)

(You'd think I could have worked that out from your description of it, haha)

Melissa said...

Hope your leg and hip are feeling better! I have bursitis in my left hip and it gives me trouble quite a bit. I can't lay on my left side because of it. It sucks. :(

Post a Comment

 

(c) Copyright 2010 Zany Dezines. Premade Layout from Zany Dezines.