Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Any Advice?

I didn't post yesterday.  The guest poster I had scheduled didn't send me anything and I had school yesterday which kept me busy until around 5 PM with homework and stuff and by then, it just seemed kind of late to be posting.  I did get around to visiting some of you though!
Source:  weheartit
So I'm in my third week of college now and so far I've only really learned on thing -- that I need to re-learn how to learn.  It's been awhile since I've been in school and I'm not used to having homework, studying and taking tests. 
Source:  weheartit
So I need your best advice!  Do you have any study tips?  What did you find helpful?  What worked best for you?
Source:  weheartit
I spent this morning doing housework, this afternoon will be devoted to finishing up homework and snuggles with the chi's.  I'm recharging the camera battery today and am going to try to get some pictures uploaded this weekend if I get the chance.  I really want to post the pictures of my dogs. 

Tomorrow I'm going in to get an estimate for the scratches that dude left on my car.  I have four hours to kill so it seems like as good a time as any.  The scratches are small and I probably wouldn't even have cared about it so much if the guy would have apologized but he didn't so he gets to pay.  Well, the owner of the car he borrowed gets to pay.

The dryer just stopped so I gotta go fold clothes now, then start on homework.  That report on American Exceptionalism isn't going to write itself, darn it!

15 showed me some love:

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Everyone has different ways that work best for studying. Some like a quiet area, some like background music. Probably a good idea to set a schedule for what you want to accomplish during the time you set aside for studying. Keep it realistic. Don't try to do too much in one sitting. And as best you can, focus only on the work at hand and forget about all the other things you need to do.

Be patient with yourself. It takes time to find a rhythm that works for you.

Good luck.

Anonymous said...

When I read the text I would write notes in a notebook. The notes were anything of importance. Then I would study the notes I took during reading. This way I read it...I wrote it..then studied it. It seems to work for me. Good luck.

Katie said...

Hmm.. studying..
I always loved to learn so it was never a super big issue for me.
My roomates HATED it though and I think that was because they felt that they needed to be studying 24 hrs a day, which made them NOT study at all.
I guess maybe my best advice would be to study in short manageable amounts of time, then do something for yourself, then study again...and so on.

Good luck to you. You'll fall into a groove soon enough. ;)

The Life of Riley said...

For me a big paper calendar that I made worked.

I taped pieces of paper together (landscape format) with the days along the top, and all my classes listed down the left hand margin with when my assignments were due marked on it, and then all the little steps (and I mean little like do research broken down to go to this source or that, read, read the three pages, first chapter, etc, write first draft, correct first draft, etc). All these small things had deadlines written on the calendar for me to cross off. Books I had to read, when my exams were, what I needed to revise and when. Lots of highlighter pens, stars, circled bits and red ink! When the days were gone I got rid of those pages, and added extra pages to the end of the year. This meant I could see when I was really busy, when I had spare time to catch up on suggested reading, how long I needed to prepare for exams, when I had time to do personal things, etc instead of leaving everything for the last minute by just having an assignment date, and on the hard assignments when my goal seemed far away I would mark off that I am 30% there, then 90% there just to keep going and pass!

OK I know there are software programs to do this and you can spend time creating pretty computer generated charts, but paper and scribbling out things I’d achieved gave me satisfaction, and being able to look at it anytime (and carry it in my school bag or pin it on the wall) worked for me.

Also the best thing I learnt from one of my professors was that even he often had to read some things two or three times before he understood them. Then I didn’t feel so bad that it didn’t instantly make sense to me and I kept re-reading things until they did make sense.

Wishing you well with your studies,
Riley’s mum

Kristen said...

Hmmmmm.... did you ever get what I sent you?? Had a ton of jpeg attachments... I'm gonna guess no since I never heard back from you. Damn gmail and SPAM! I will resend!! So sorry... please forgive me my friend. I will resend! I know you're crazy busy with school :)

Kristen said...

And studying tips... set small goals. I staretd by saying if I can really focus for 2 hours, I can take a break and watch a movie. Or... I would treat myself to a Starbs but in return I had to buckle down for 4 hours. And find a place that you're really comfortable in. I couldn't study for the first year in a library. And I had to have music playing...

The Daily Pip said...

Well, it's been awhile since I have been in school, but here are a few tips. First of all, be patient with yourself. It's a big change and it will take some time to get in the swing of things.

Two - Figure out what is the best time for you - when you are most clear-headed, least stressed, etc. For me, that's very early in the morning before my husband and daughter are awake. Everyone's different, but whatever time is your time, that's the best time to study.

Three - Before studying do something to clear your head. Again, that's different for everyone - take a walk, exercise, talk to a friend, pet your dogs.

Four - Find the right balance of studying and having fun. Balance is everything.

Five - CAFFEINE. Just kidding, but it does help sometimes!

Kristin (Pip's Mom)

P.S.: Believe in yourself!

Sketching with Dogs said...

It's been a loonnnnngggg time since I studied for anything but as I have just started sewing again am having to relearn everything.
My best advice would be to do an hour or so at a time, go and have a cup of tea and a break or take the dogs out and come back to it fresh or you get bogged down with it all.
Hope you get your car sorted out. These people are disgusting!
Lynne x

Zona said...

It's been so long since my mom had to study that she's scratching her head. We'll put our heads together and try to come up with tips! Eliminating distractions was always a popular tip - but hard to put into practice! I'm anxious to read what advice you get!

Wags,
Zona

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! SCHOOL ... my mom loves school. She always say it's the best time of her life. Taking Good Notes is very important. Do your homework as soon as possible. My mom has a photographic memory n can memorize terms n formulas. Try to create CODEs to remember terms n formulas (if numbers are involve). Well, I think that's it for now ... hope these helps. Lots of Golden Luck to you. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Velvet Over Steel said...

I feel for you! I've been helping my youngest son with college homework for the last year and 1/2.. it's been an experience. I told him the other day that I didn't understand his new English class/homework. I said 'I'm not a teacher' & he says 'I'm not either.. I'm a student' 'Can't you pretend to be a student too?!' I laughed, he had such good points. lol So I didn't get out of helping him. Darn it... so anyway, I do feel for you! I wished I'd gone back to school... now I'm afraid to.

Good Luck, Sprinkles!! & Stay Safe & Warm with all this crazy weather!!
Hugs,
Coreen

Doris Sturm said...

It's been a long time since I had to study, but I never had to do it while single handedly running a household and taking care of children...
I know it takes discipline and good organization skills, like cooking meals ahead, incorporating the crock pot or making a big batch of soup or stew for now and later...little short cuts that could give you more time.

Don't stress yourself over not posting on your blog every day. Some people post every day and I can not keep up with that. I don't know why some people feel they have to post every single day, but if I had to do that, it would feel like work to me and right now your studies have priority over blogging, but that's just a suggestion - only because you asked ;-) Good luck with your studies and don't worry about us - we'll be here!

Zuzana said...

I sure can understand it can not be easy to be back in school again, I so admire you.;)
As for tips and tricks, I guess it is just to do the homework right away. I recall it was bad when I saved it for too long as I got away from the subject.;)
Happy Wednesday to you.;)
xoxo

The Rantings of a Drama Queen's Mum said...

How do you like the classes? I was always the type of person who would study the night before a test. I always had a hard time focusing, but I always needed background music.

the booker man said...

i agree with the OP pack and others who mentioned setting a goal/schedule for the time you have allotted for studying.
this may not apply to you, but i get very fidgety if i spend too much time focused on something. i used to tell myself if i studied for an hour, then i could get up and do something else for 10 minutes before returning to studying. it kept me sane. :)

the booker man and asa's mama

Post a Comment

 

(c) Copyright 2010 Zany Dezines. Premade Layout from Zany Dezines.